In 1946, Cleveland’s Sesquicentennial Committee led by A. B. Williams with the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, designated one hundred and fifty (150) trees as Moses Cleaveland Trees. These trees were thought to be part of the original forest in Cleveland in 1946 when Moses Cleaveland landed at the mouth of the Cuyahoga River and founded Cleveland. In 1971 and again in 1984, the Early Settlers Association designated additional trees, including trees in Lake View Cemetery.
Seven total Moses Cleaveland Trees can be found in Lake View Cemetery today. Join Margeaux Apple, Plant Recorder with Holden Forests and Gardens, and Lake View Cemetery staff as they tour the grounds and provide background on not only the trees but also the history of the Cemetery.
Stop by Daffodil Hall for refreshments and to visit with Dr. Roy Larick, a historian researching the Moses Cleaveland Trees for the Early Settlers Association and the Forest City Working Group, and learn how you too can help in growing Cleveland's urban tree canopy.
The tour will begin at Daffodil Hall.